Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lovely

I've got you kid, it'll be just fine.
Telling half-truths and promises,
in songs and poems slammed into a microphone
too tall for you to properly speak into.

Don't worry kid, I'll always be there.
Making vows ashing menthol cigarettes
onto rickety coffee shop tables.
Unless, of course.

Unless unless unless.
Unless you fuck up.

I'll always be there kid,
but I might not respect you in the morning.

But it's okay, lovely,
I've never been a fan of mornings anyway,
and if I sleep through the day
I can just pretend that pesky dawn never happened at all.

But listen, kid, I push people away,
I always push people away.
Honesty over beers and half-formed insights
into your head and your reasons.

Well, lovely, I'm always getting pushed away,
so it looks like we're just a match made in heaven.
Yes, darling, two halves of the same whole.

It's not your fault, kid, I just want
to warn you—it's how I am.

Well let me tell you, lovely, I understand.
I won't be mad, won't make you hold my hand
if you'd rather we didn't talk like we mean it.

Because this, this is who I am,
Holding onto sinking ships, watching train wrecks—
Can't look away.

And lovely, I'll hold onto those empty
promises just like I've held onto all the empty
promises before you and yours.

But don't you worry your pretty little head
about me,
lovely,
I'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment